The Mind the Gap Q2 Activity Report, an initiative of innovosource, is a market-wide assessment of funding activity from university-affiliated translational research, proof-of-concept, and start-up gap funds.
In this most recent quarter (April-May), gap fund managers from 26 universities participating in the process, reported
- Activity: $2.5M invested into 42 technologies and start-ups, bringing the annual reported total to $3.7M into 68 gap funding projects.
- Technology Source Of Funded Projects for YTD 2013: Software (14%), Electrical Engineering(10%), Material Science (10%)
- Industries of Interest For Funded Projects YTD 2013: Agriculture (17%), Biotech/Pharma (17%), Electronics (13%), Manufacturing (13%)
About Mind the Gap Q2 Activity Report
Gap funding at universities is a direct response to the capital gap formed by fleeting sources of traditional technology and start-up development capital. These funds are active at over 100 universities and supplement important stages innovation evaluation and commercialization. They have demonstrated impact in commercialization rates, return on investment, attraction of third-party investors, and economic development/job creation.
The goal of the Mind the Gap Q2 Activity Report is to advocate for and inform practitioners and the general public on the importance of this funding mechanism to the future of technology and start-up development.
We will use this time to develop the report and assess information of value, including:
- Positioning of university-affiliated gap funding with other traditional forms of funding like angel, venture capital
- Market-level info on investment activity and funding levels
- Technology areas of investment
- Targeted industry sectors
- Best practice fund examples
This report process is currently in a pilot phase that will extend through CY 2013 and focus on expanding the participant group in order to establish a two year set of activity.
Current participants include:
- Florida State University
- Inovent (Turkey)
- Iowa State University
- Michigan State University
- Oklahoma State University (Cowboy Technologies)
- Purdue University
- University of Arizona
- University of California System
- University of Illinois-Chicago
- University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
- University of Kansas
- University of Massachusetts System
- Worchester Polytechnic Institute
Innovosource is an awareness firm that works with research universities and their key innovation partners—high-tech companies, early stage investors, and government agencies—to develop new opportunities for interaction through initiatives like Mind the Gap and Pardon the Disruption